Italian International Student Association
In collaboration with the Italian Institute of Culture, San Francisco, and
NICE - New Italian Cinema
An evening with Maria Grazia Cucinotta
Saturday, November 20, 2004 6:00 PM
Andersen Auditorium, Haas School of Business
University of California, Berkeley
In Italian with English subtitles
Maria Grazia Cucinotta is one of the stars of today's Italian cinema,
and with her roles in popular movies such as Il postino or
The World Is Not Enough she gained considerable international
reputation. This year NICE - New Italian Cinema will honor her
presenting her latest film, Miracolo a Palermo! (A Sicilian
Miracle) at its closing night.
IISA welcomes her to UC Berkeley, where she will meet with students and
friends, following the presentation of Michael Radford’s Il Postino
(The Postman; Italy 1994, 155 min.), which she stars in with Massimo
Troisi and Philippe Noiret. The film received five Academy Awards nominations
in 1995, winning the Oscar for Best Original Score.
(Italian International Student Association) and
Istituto Italiano di Cultura,
in collaboration with
New Italian Cinema and
San Francisco Film Society.
| Selected filmography:
- All the Invisible Children (filming, 2006),
by Emir Kusturica, Ridley Scott, John Woo...
- Miracolo a Palermo! (A Sicilian Miracle; 2004),
by Beppe Cino, with Tony Sperandeo and Luigi Maria Burruano.
- Mariti in affitto (Rent-A-Husband; 2004),
by Ilaria Borrelli, with Brooke Shields and Chevy Chase.
- Picking Up the Pieces (2000),
by Alfonso Arau, with Woody Allen and Kiefer Sutherland.
- Just One Night (2000),
by Alan Jacobs, with Timothy Hutton and Seymour Cassel.
- Solomon (2000), by Roger Young,
with Max von Sidow and Ben Cross.
- The World is Not Enough (1999), by Michael Apted,
with Pierce Brosnan, Sophie Marceau, and Robert Carlyle.
- La seconda moglie (The Second Wife; 1998),
by Ugo Chiti.
- Camere da letto (Bedrooms; 1997), by/with Simona Izzo,
and with Diego Abatantuono and Ricky Tognazzi.
- A Brooklyn State of Mind (1997), by Frank Rainone,
with Vincent Spano and Danny Aiello.
1998 New York International Independent Film & Video Festival,
Best Actress in a Dramatic Feature Award.
- Italiani (Italians; 1996), by Maurizio Ponzi,
with Giulio Scarpati.
- I laureati (The Graduates; 1996),
by/with Leonardo Pieraccioni.
- Il sindaco (The Mayor; 1996),
by Ugo Fabrizio Giordani, with Anthony Quinn and Raoul Bova.
- El día de la bestia (The Day of the
Beast; 1995) by Alex de la Iglesia.
- Il postino (The Postman; 1994),
by Michael Radford, with Massimo Troisi and Philippe Noiret.
- Cominciò tutto per caso
(It All Started By Chance; 1993),
by Umberto Marino, with Margherita Buy, Massimo Ghini,
and Raoul Bova.
Selected links about Maria Grazia Cucinotta:
Selected links about Il Postino:
Sponsored by Gaspare's